Climate change is one of humanities biggest threat, eco-friendly practices have become increasingly important. Consumers are no longer content just buying products that work; they want to know that their purchases won’t damage the environment as well. This shift in attitude has had an impact on all areas of consumerism, including toothpaste.
More and more people are opting for products labelled “eco-friendly toothpaste” when shopping for dental hygiene items. What makes a eco friendly product? How can you be sure you're making the best choice for our Planet? Read on to learn more about why eco-friendly toothpaste matters and how to make sure yours is up to par!
Dr. Bronner's Organic Toothpaste
Dr. Bronner's organic toothpaste is a natural, vegan-friendly and cruelty-free toothpaste that is free from synthetic preservatives, fluoride, SLS/SLES, artificial sweeteners/flavors, dyes or foaming agents. It is made from the purest organic and fair trade ingredients such as coconut oil, olive oil and jojoba oil to help keep your teeth healthy and clean without any harsh chemicals or irritants.
- All natural ingredients - No harsh chemicals or irritants like SLS/SLES for example which can be damaging to the environment.
- Cruelty free & Vegan - Not tested on animals so it’s safer for our planet!
- Certified Organic – The company has a commitment to using only certified organic plant materials in their products to reduce environmental pollution caused by pesticides and fertilizers used in conventional farming practices.
- Contains Fluoride – While this ingredient helps prevent cavities it can also have negative impacts on the environment if not disposed of properly since it can contaminate nearby water sources with harmful levels of fluoride leading to health issues for humans and wildlife alike.
Jack N' Jill Natural Toothpaste
Jack N' Jill Natural toothpaste is a popular natural brand that has been around for decades. It's made from all-natural ingredients, including organic aloe vera, xylitol, and baking soda to help protect teeth and gums. It also contains no added colours or preservatives, helping to make it one of the most eco-friendly toothpastes on the market today.
- Made with 98% naturally derived ingredients which are vegan friendly and cruelty free
- Contains certified organic aloe vera which helps soothe gums and promote healthy oral hygiene
- Fluoride free formula which reduces risk of fluorosis in children who swallow too much fluoride while brushing their teeth
- Uses recyclable packaging that can be reused or recycled after use
- Contains xylitol which may not be suitable for pets as it can cause an upset stomach if ingested in large amounts Overall, Jack N' Jill Natural Toothpaste is a fantastic choice for anyone looking for an eco-friendly solution to oral care needs. Its natural ingredients reduce your carbon footprint while still delivering great results!
Hello Oral Care Activated Charcoal Toothpaste
Hello Oral Care's activated charcoal toothpaste uses natural ingredients to help keep your mouth healthy and clean while also being environmentally friendly. This toothpaste contains no artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives, meaning it is free of harsh chemicals that can be damaging to the environment. It also has a low-foaming formula that is safe for septic tanks, making it a great choice for households with well water systems or those looking to reduce their impact on the planet.
- Natural ingredients - Free of artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives which can be damaging to the environment.
- Low-foaming formula - Safe for septic tanks and helps reduce environmental impact from household waste products.
- Cruelty-free – Not tested on animals and does not contain any animal byproducts such as lanolin or beeswax which can contribute to animal exploitation in certain industries.
- Refill options are limited - Currently only plastic tubes are available so if you’re looking for a more eco-friendly option this might not be ideal.
- Contains fluoride – While fluoride has been widely accepted as an effective cavity prevention agent, some studies suggest there may be potential risks associated with its use in large quantities over long periods of time (such as discoloration of teeth).
Tom's of Maine Antiplaque and Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
Tom’s of Maine is a company that specializes in making natural, eco friendly products. Their antiplaque and whitening fluoride free toothpaste is no exception. This toothpaste is made with all-natural ingredients such as coconut oil, tea tree oil and zinc citrate which help to reduce plaque build up while gently polishing away stains. The product also contains xylitol, a sugar alcohol derived from plant sources that helps to sweeten the taste without any added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Free of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), artificial colors/flavors, preservatives and animal products - this make it much safer for both humans and the environment.
- Contains natural ingredients derived from plants like coconut oils which help fight bacteria associated with dental cavities, gum disease and other oral health issues.
- Has been certified vegan by Vegan Action for those who are concerned about their impact on animals or animal testing when choosing personal care items.
- Not available everywhere so you may have to search online or go to specialty stores for it if your local store does not carry it.
- More expensive than conventional brands due to its all-natural ingredients
Peelu Extracts Herbal Toothpowder
Peelu Extracts Herbal Toothpowder is an all-natural dental care product made with 100% natural and organic ingredients. It contains no artificial colors or fragrances, and is free of chemical additives. Made in the USA, it is vegan friendly and has been certified cruelty free by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). The toothpowder helps to remineralize teeth while promoting healthy gums, freshening breath, and reducing plaque build up.
- Natural ingredients are biodegradable and do not pollute waterways or other ecosystems
- Contains no harsh chemicals that can leach into environment
- No animal testing was used in developing this product
- Packaging materials may be made from non-recyclable plastics which could end up as pollution in landfills or oceans
The Impact of Traditional Toothpastes on the Environment
There's no denying that traditional toothpaste has a negative environmental impact. Most contain synthetic ingredients such as triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), propylene glycol (PG) or other detergents which can be damaging for water systems if swallowed or washed down sinks - these chemicals remain in our waterways long after use due to their slow breakdown rate. They also harm aquatic life by reducing oxygen levels in bodies of water, leading to algae blooms which create dead zones with insufficient oxygen levels to support marine life.
In addition, most dental hygiene products come packaged in plastic tubes or tubs which often end up in landfills after being thrown away - plastic takes hundreds if not thousands of years before breaking down completely and releasing dangerous pollutants into the air during its final stages.* Furthermore, conventional toothpaste often contains controversial animal testing ingredients like carrageenan as well as artificial sweeteners like saccharin or xylitol - substances which may pollute groundwater sources when used excessively over time*. All this combined makes it hard not to see why investing in some environmentally friendly alternatives might be worth considering!
Choosing Eco-Friendly Toothpaste Options That Make A Difference
When browsing through various labels at your local drugstore or online store, there are certain characteristics you should keep an eye out for:
Natural Ingredients – look for natural abrasives such as silica (a natural mineral), hydrated silica (which helps clean teeth without irritating gums), alumina oxide/aluminium hydroxide powder (used instead of SLS), calcium carbonate/baking soda/sea salt etc., organic essential oils like peppermint/tea tree oil etc., Xylitol derived from plants rather than petrochemicals and botanical extracts such as aloe vera gel – all these help ensure your health & safety while protecting nature too! Additionally, try avoiding whitening agents containing peroxide & fluoride because they tend to release chlorine gas when mixed with tapwater*.
Biodegradable Formulas – Optimum biodegradability means fewer toxins entering our ecosystems; look out for plant-based surfactants like coco betaine or ethoxylated sorbitol esters & derivatives soaps made from vegetable fatty acids extracted from coconut oil etc.-these break down quickly compared chemical compounds found commonly found commercial brands. Additionally, avoid using aerosols since propellants released can contribute towards ozone depletion!
Recyclable Packaging Materials– packaging materials produced with recycled cardboard /paperboard, aluminium cans etc. FSC-certified paper containers made from responsibly sourced forests are also great options! Stick tube packaging from switch2pure is another option made entirely developed without plastics*. So keep your eyes open, read labels carefully & do research online before settling upon one particular brand.
Switching regular non-eco-friendly toiletries will ultimately result in cleaner oceans& rivers plus reduced plastic pollution !! Not only will it benefit the environment but also improve overall oral hygiene by removing harmful toxins ingested every day via brushing!! So go ahead and invest some time researching the right eco-friendly toothpaste! We promise it'll save planet earth while keeping those pearly whites sparkling ;)